Dream Theater released their latest album “The Astonishing” on January 29, 2016. The concept album in the progressive metal genre was about a utopian world. In addition, it is a very long album about 130 minutes.
This utopia, created by John Petrucci, seems highly appreciated by the band. The album was already appreciated by Dream Theater fans. Now, they will write a book based on this album’s utopic world. The book is written by John Petrucci and Peter Orullian.
The book will be sold in winter of 2017. You can pre-order now. Price is $75. Click here.
Notes about the book:
- Full-length novel of The Astonishing, adding new plot lines and intrigue, additional characters and motivations, answers to fan questions, as well as explanations and ideas not explored on the album
- In-depth Introduction by John Petrucci, going deep on why he wrote The Astonishing, what it means to him, etc.
- Definitive interviews of each member of Dream Theater, covering their experience in the genesis of the album, in performing it, what it means to them, as well as their own music history, interests, and part in the band
- A few early music demos (often taken from original iPhone recordings) of original songs set in the universe of The Astonishing but never used on the album
- The genesis of one song: From early iPhone recording to final tune, listen to several song clips of the steps in the song writing process of one of the songs from The Astonishing
- Foreword by a celebrated musician (Announcement coming soon)
- Afterword by a music industry luminary (Announcement coming soon)
- Never-before seen hand written notes, early art renderings, photographs, etc. chronicling the development of The Astonishing, with a behind-the-scenes look at how it all came to fruition
- An original story by John Petrucci & Peter Orullian, set in the universe of The Astonishing
- Original cover art on full-color dust jacket
- Original full-color interior art depicting key scenes in the story, including some scenes not represented in the album
- Map of the world of The Astonishing
- Full lyrics, song-by-song breakdown, and final synopsis as written by John Petrucci
- Printed on 60# acid-free paper
- Smyth sewn for durability
- Foil stamping on the front boards and spine
- Bound in leather
- Limited to 2500 copies